Monday, January 28, 2013

Writing Priorities

There are probably a million things I could be doing right now while Silas naps. I could straighten up the kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, bathroom, or front room. I could sort through old bills and organize them. I could prepare something to eat and eat it right away instead of coming back to it after a half hour or two. I could bathe the puppies, study for any of my three classes, re-braid my hair so that Silas can't pull it, set a load of laundry going or fold what's already clean. I could prepare to go to the bank when he wakes up or even attempt to bring him on errands while he's asleep.

I'm sure many, more organized people than me are laughing at my above list, and that's ok. I've long since accepted that in order to write anything - even for a small little blog to keep my friends and family entertained - I need to make writing a priority. And so that's why, after I put Silas down in his crib, I immediately sat down next to the crib and started typing.

I had a rough few days - Silas has been teething and the whole process is not for the faint of heart. It mostly involves your baby acting somewhat normally, if extra drooly at times, and then bam! - the pain gets to be too much and he starts screaming in pain. Or he will wake up from a nice nap only to tearfully start fussing and desperately trying to chew on his fingers to dull the pain.

And during the night, he would wake up every two hours, crying and nearly inconsolable. It was all I could do to sit there and hold him and breath calmly in hopes that he would pick up on my breathing and relax as well. I would hold him on my shoulder while Smiley would pat his head and we all sat there in the dark room, waiting for Silas to calm down enough to go back to fitful sleep.

Now, last night, I had the misfortune of waking up before Silas did. We went to bed around ten and at about three in the morning - yes, almost five straight hours of sleep! There's hope yet! - I woke up with, to put it delicately, intestinal troubles. There was something so weird about waking up because I needed to and not because Silas was crying or fussing. It's been awhile, is what I'm saying.

Anyhow, Silas did end up waking up within the half hour as I tried to get back to sleep, but I'm almost positive that he then slept until around seven.

The emergence of the first tooth means I need to figure out how to go about brushing a tooth. I guess it will be similar to brushing a small dog's teeth, right? Silas won't want to sit still and will twist and turn his head and make faces? I've read that people wipe down the gums and tooth with a piece of gauze and for the life of me, I can't figure out why I have no problems letting him chew on my finger but the thought of wiping down his gums makes me worry I might hurt his mouth! It's true that no matter what happens, I will ALWAYS have something to worry about!

Yesterday it was 76 degrees out and sunny. It was a surreal experience as my friends and I went for a hike. I was sweating on a hike in January, people. I know that a lot of my readers hail from Florida, but for those who don't, I think we can agree that this is ridiculous. At least pretend to be winter, January. Maybe stick to 60 degrees? I think that's a fair compromise; it'll be warm enough for jeans and a t-shirt and cool enough to stick a sweatshirt over that.

As I am excited about being back at school, I figured I'd end this post on a good note by sharing that I got my grade for my Anatomy and Physiology Lab practical and it was 104/100. Yes, I nailed it down to the bonus questions. I'm pretty excited because I think this indicates that my choice to pursue nursing was finally a good decision. I'm trying to let this excitement wash out the frustration that I didn't do this sooner, and you know what? It's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment