Sunday, December 29, 2013

Digging Through The Thoughts of Past Me

I have found my old online journal. I have also found my husband's old online journal. We were both writing at the time, blissfully unaware of each other's existences. 

At the turn of the year 2005, both Smiley and I took the same online questionnaire that was presumably all the rage across the internet back then. I thought it would be interesting to check out what we said. (My answers will be in green and Smiley's answers will be in red.)

Both surveys start out asking about our names and screennames. Boring! Let's get to the exciting stuff!

THREE THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:

I said:
1. I can sing fairly well
2. I'm good at DDR
3. I'm good at leading groups and organizing stuff


Smiley said:
1. my outgoiness and ability to make poepel comfortable around me
2. my confidence
3. the great friends i've managed to get


 This question is great. Here we see that I like the fact that I can "lead groups" and "organize stuff." Who knows what the heck I was organizing, but I felt like I was doing good enough at it to brag on the internet about it. Out of my three responses, I'm not sure I'd put any of them up there were I to fill out this questionnaire once more.

Meanwhile, Smiley sticks to making "poepel" comfortable around him. I thought about editing these responses for spelling and grammar, but boy would that be boring! His three responses are right in line with the Smiley I know.

THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:


I said:
1. Big bugs
2. Being alone
3. Scary movies =p


Smiley said:
1. snow
2. ice
3. bad literature


Well, it would figure that both of us listed first the one thing that we would have to deal with should we someday meet over World of Warcraft and decide to spend the rest of our lives together. I stated that big bugs scare me and there are plenty of those down here in Florida! I guess I had to move to Florida though because Smiley listed that he was afraid of both snow AND ice. Perhaps if I had listed big bugs and ridiculously hot and humid summers AND an annoying lack of sidewalks, we'd be up in Illinois.

THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:

I said:

1. Glasses or contacts
2. My purse
3. Taking a shower every day


Smiley said:
1. motorcyle
2. schrade multitool
3. toothbrush 
 


I know, I know. These responses are REALLY boring. But I enjoy the reminder that I used to wear contacts in a different life and I'm trying to remember the last time I've showered two days in a row. (To be honest, that's partially because I've found that I actually feel cleaner showering every other day and partially because holy crap small babies are time consuming.)

It kills me that Smiley lists "toothbrush" as an everyday essential along with his multitool and motorcycle. It doesn't feel like a lowly toothbrush belongs on that list. 

THREE NEW THINGS YOU WANT TO TRY IN THE NEXT 12 MONTHS

I said:

1. Stop biting my nails
2. Live peacefully with my mom
3. Get better at DDR ^^ 


Smiley said:
1. possibly alcohol on my 21st
2. probably get an xbox and join the ranks of the evil masses
3. my standup act again


I'm going to break this down, line by line. No, I haven't stopped biting my fingernails. Sorry past me. I no longer bite my nails so much that they bleed, if that's any consolation. But when I'm bored or anxious, all bets are off.

Those who know me in the present day may be surprised to know that I had a tough time getting along with my family while I was in high school. It was a bad case of "being a teenager and not having perspective." I don't think it got much better in 2005, but I did get better at it as I grew older.

Yeah, I'm pretty awesome at DDR now.

Smiley assures me that at this point in time, he had never drank alcohol. So that's something we had in common in 2005.

I'm told that he did, in fact, get an xbox.

Smiley continues to approach life with his trademark method of "not taking anything seriously, ever," but he has not segued into a successful standup career as of this posting date.

THREE CAREERS YOU'RE CONSIDERING


I said:
1. Teacher
2. Writer
3. erm... stay at home mom? ^^;;


Smiley said:
1. psychology
2. real estate development
3. real estate sales


I only included this because you might be wondering what the heck "^^;;" means. Well, it's a smiley face with giant anime-style sweatdrops. In other words, it means I was embarrassed and/or amused to suggest that I might consider staying at home with children some day. Silly past me.

THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE:
 

I said:
1. Get married and have a family ^^
2. Learn to knit more than just a scarf
3. Get over my fear of death. ^^;;
 


Smiley said:
 1. break the sound barrier on a motorcycle
2. become a known name everwhere (IE celebrity status)
3. take over hosting duty on the daily show 


These are all some legit goals, people! I knew from a young age that family would be really important to me. And knitting, apparently. I used to knit, but I literally couldn't do anything except make scarves of varying lengths and sizes. My biggest accomplishment was making scarves with two alternating colors.

I remain fearful of death.

Smiley dreamed big. I think that he could accomplish all of this in one go, if he plays his cards right. Presumably when I am reading through this entry ten years from now, I will be inspired to let you all know how it goes.

THREE KIDS NAMES
  
Smiley said:
1. chronos
2. methos
3. syus

 

This is a bonus question! I apparently did not answer it or deleted it, because I don't have a corresponding response. But we see here that even in 2004, Smiley was dedicated to naming his kids after the Highlander show's four horsemen of the apocalypse. I'm honestly surprised he didn't list all four names even though it only asked for three, because Smiley plays fast and loose with The Man's rules. I'm not surprised that he spelled Silas's name wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment