Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Wanna know how tired I am?

I had my baby on September 7th and since then, I have not had more than 3.5 hours of sleep at a time. I often wake up so tired my eyes are watering and/or crossed. But the physical aspects of being tired are minor compared to how my brain is reacting. For example, I humbly present this exchange between me and Smiley the other morning:

It was late in the morning, maybe about eleven, and I was feeding Silas. I was doing great until I opened my mouth to talk:

"Well, Silas," I said, looking at him in what I felt was a bleary but loving gaze, "At this rate, I won't have an official breakfast today. I'll have a breakfast lunch." I paused, and continued without thinking: "Too bad there's no cool word for a breakfast lunch like there is for breakfast for dinner."

I paused for another beat, thinking about what I said.

"Hey." I looked at Smiley. "Hey, did you hear what I just said?"

He shook his head no and I somewhat sighed in relief.

"I was lamenting that there's not a word for breakfast for lunch."

Smiley looked at me. "Maybe after you finish feeding him, you should go take a nap."

No comments:

Post a Comment